London attack: Two men continue to be questioned as seven released

Media captionKhalid Masood, from school boy to killer

Seven of the 11 people arrested since the Westminster attack have been released with no further action, police have said.

The Metropolitan Police said two men remain in custody, while two women have been released on bail until late March.

Police are trying to establish whether attacker Khalid Masood acted alone.

Meanwhile, the Saudi Arabian government has confirmed that Masood worked in the country as an English teacher in two different spells between 2005 and 2009.

Four people were killed and 50 injured after Masood drove his car into people on Westminster Bridge and stabbed an officer guarding Parliament.

PC Keith Palmer, 48, died of his wounds. Masood was shot dead by police.

Police said their investigation into the attack would focus on Masood’s “motivation, preparation and his associates”.

Those still in custody are:

  • A 58-year-old man from Birmingham
  • A 27-year-old man from Birmingham

A 32-year-old woman, who was arrested in Manchester, was released on bail until late March. A 39-year-old woman, from east London, was released on bail until late March.

On Friday, Metropolitan Police Assistant Deputy Commissioner Mark Rowley said officers would investigate whether Masood “acted totally alone inspired by terrorist propaganda, or if others have encouraged, supported or directed him”.

The Saudi Arabian embassy in London said Masood had been in the country from November 2005 to November 2006 and April 2008 to April 2009, when he worked as an English teacher.

In 2015, he obtained an Umra visa – allowing pilgrimage to Mecca – and was in the country from the 3 to 8 March.

The embassy said: “The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia strongly condemns Wednesday’s terrorist act in London, as it does all forms of terrorism.

“The attack in London this week has again demonstrated the importance of international efforts to confront and eradicate terrorism.”

Image copyright
PA/Facebook

Image caption

PC Keith Palmer and Aysha Frade were among the victims

Two of Masood’s victims, Aysha Frade – a teacher in her 40s – and US tourist Kurt Cochran, 54, died on Wednesday.

Retired window cleaner Leslie Rhodes, 75, from Clapham, south London, died on Thursday evening when his life support machine was turned off.

Fifty people were injured in the attack, with 31 receiving hospital treatment. Two are in a critical condition, and one has life-threatening injuries.

Two officers remain in hospital with “very significant” injuries, one of whom has been identified as PC Kristofer Aves.

Image copyright
Travis Frain

Image caption

Prince Charles has visited some of the injured at King’s College Hospital, including Travis Frain

On Friday evening it was announced that Tobias Ellwood, the MP who battled to save the life of PC Palmer, and security minister Ben Wallace have been appointed to the Privy Council – the historic group that advises monarchs – in recognition of their responses to the attack.


Read what we know about the Westminster attack

The Metropolitan Police said Masood, 52, who had a number of previous criminal convictions, but none for terrorism, had used a number of aliases.

While he was registered in Dartford, Kent as Adrian Russell Elms at birth Masood was also known as Adrian Russell during his childhood.

Media captionAssistant Deputy Commissioner Mark Rowley makes his appeal

In the early 2000s, he was convicted of causing grievous bodily harm after slashing a man across the face with a knife in a pub.

Masood was believed to have been living in the West Midlands before Wednesday’s attack, but had previously spent time in Luton, Crawley, Rye and Eastbourne.

Image copyright
PA

Image caption

Masood was shot after stabbing PC Palmer – both men were treated at the scene

Get news from the BBC in your inbox, each weekday morning

Have you been affected by these events? If you are willing to do so, share with us by emailing .

Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways:

London attack: Two men continue to be questioned as seven released

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *